Friday, November 9, 2012

British Invasion!

Let the return begin!

I finally have some time to post this weekend. That, and I was inspired by my good friend and fabulous new follower, Tyler. :) So prepare ye for a lot of new content in the next few days.

Anyway, the title of this post is quite fitting, namely because I was a British punk from the 70's for Halloween this year. I even had a whole backstory and everything- my name was Axel Ansel, lead singer of the band Acid Reflex and cousin to Sid Vicious of The Sex Pistols. Pretty cool, huh?

Right Proper Bloke
British artists have always been very popular (see: The Beatles, The Spice Girls, etc.) and they still are today. There has been a particular explosion of Brits on the music scene lately. Let me share some highlights with you.

One Direction- "Live While We're Young"

Simon Cowell's hitmakers from The X Factor bring the party on this track. It may sound pretty similar to some past songs of theirs, but I think it's even catchier. The lyrics, true to form for this boy band, tow the line between naughty and innocent.

Muse- "Madness"

I quite like this song. I heard it for the first time on Saturday Night Live (on which they did quite well, I must say) and a few times on the radio since. It starts out with a chill vibe and ends quite gloriously. Lyrically, it speaks of looking back on a relationship gone sour.

Ellie Goulding- "I Know You Care"

This song is not a single, but it still received a music video. Here it is:


It's pretty touching, isn't it? It kinda makes me want to see the movie that it's on the soundtrack for. And that scene with Dakota Fanning being carried on the motorcycle so she can view the horses because she's too sick to do it on her own chokes me up every time.

The song itself is simple and quite sweet. The sound is that of a stripped down acoustic ballad. And Ellie croons the heartfelt lyrics beautifully. <3

Adele - "Skyfall"

This song serves as the theme song for the most recent James Bond movie, of the same title. Side note: it came out in The States today and I'm seeing it in about 20 minutes. So excited!

Adele is, as always, a vocal knockout in this song. It features an amazing orchestral score and even incorporates the classic James Bond theme. It has a very old sound to it. Lyrically, it speaks of standing tall in the midst of tragedy, which I think is very fitting for a Bond movie. In fact, I think I'd even go as far as to say that it's the best Bond theme ever. Nice work, Adele.
Oh, and also- one of the piano parts toward the end totally reminds me of "The Other Side," by Evanescence. See if you can catch it!

That's all I've got for now. Stay tuned. Glad to be back. :D

-Jolly Old Jake

P.S.- Also new from Ellie Goulding, a music video for "Anything Could Happen."


You already know what I think of this song, but this music video is...Idk. Kinda cool, kinda weird. Just like her. Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment